Sunday, April 28, 2013

Post the First. The unbelievably cool, and now extinct Maverick Durance.

The Maverick Durance.

OH just read outside online's review.  Or stay here.  I bought the Maverick Durance 4 years ago, from Sunnyside Sports, in Bend, Oregon.  Now the company is out of Business!  Is this the end?  Am I now the proud owner of THIS FINE PROFLEX BIKE that has a suspension system made out of squishy rubber bits, or some other KEEN BIKE LIKE THIS FLYING V bike... In other words, did I get stuck with an Edsel, a Rotary Mazda, a Beta-Max, a Laser Disc?
morrisonlukesmith

Naaaah.  I got the sweetness.

See, That's the focus of this blog.  Why the stuff I like rawks.

The bike was not cheap.  In fact it cost more than my car, and my other 2 bikes put together.  (Yes, my car is an outrageous 1984 Volvo 240DL  POS wagon, held together by dirt and duct tape, but one that is awesome, for reasons to be discussed later).

But let's discuss it's strengths:
It climbs:
... like a mountain goat:  The Durance has a 2 height front fork:  It's can switch from either 5" of bouncy up front, or 6.5".  And when it's set to 5", the geometry is such that you hug the dirt and rocks like this guy, Ueli Steck. (Plus, he's amazing, so enjoy).  And there is some unique aspect to the rear linkage that takes out all the bouncy in the back, and makes it hook up like mad. "Bouncy" is a technical term.  If it matters, it's triple patented, ultra trademarked, and it was invented by Paul Turner, Mr. Rock Shox, etc.

It's light:
With the amazing Maverick fork, it looks like a motorcycle.  The large diameter aluminum tube make it look like a downhill bike.  But, through crafty design, and in my case, overpriced, shimano dura-ace parts (pronounced due-ah-chay for proper italian accent) it weighs in at a pretty svelte 26 pounds: Not bad for an XL frame with 6.5" of travel.

It's Bitchin
It just looks sweet.
morrisonlukesmith

This one has the nifty attachment where you can lower the seat with a flick of a switch for descents, and then, when you start to go cross-country, flip, whoosh, and your upright again.  'mazing.  Of course mine does not have that feature.  Who wants all that weight.  (ounces, OK, maybe this was just me being cheap).

But what about my concerns about obsolescence? Naaaah.  This is the best part.  At least for now, my shop can service this bad boy.  That's a huge deal in bicycle shock world, where you often have to mail off shocks for repair replacement.  In Bend, I drop it off, 2 days later, I'm rocking the huge hits of like 6'.  (Translation, I'm enjoying amazing squishyness and performance as I gingerly maneuver my 43 year old non-athletic bag of bones over intermediate trails)

And here's the judgemental part.  Maverick, If you're going to pay too much for a toy, make it this one.

(Yes, I am, in fact, a Macintosh Guy).  Sweet.  All this bike-aggrandizement has me stoked to ride.  
morrison-luke-smith
(c) Morrisonlukesmith




No comments:

Post a Comment